Friday, September 1, 2017

1960s - Me without my hair in braids

My first cousin discovered a large box of my grandparents' slides and sent them to me.  A second cousin offered to digitize the slides for me.  I've been featuring them on my blog once or twice a month. My grandfather took this photograph of me at about age four or five beside the house on 7 Dearborn Avenue in Beverly, Massachusetts.  This photo must date from 1965 or so.



I usually wore my hair in long braids, and didn't cut my hair until I was in middle school.  This is one of the few photos I have of me without my hair in braids.  I don't look very happy here.  Perhaps someone just took out the elastic hair bands and gave my hair a hard brushing for the photo?  I remember standing on a chair as little girl so my mother could untangle and braid my hair every morning before school.  Don't you love the tiny, short bangs?

---------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "1960s - Me without my hair in braids", Nutfield Genealogy, posted September 1, 2017, (https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/09/1960s-me-without-my-hair-in-braids.html: accessed [access date]).

2 comments:

  1. Such lovely long hair, Heather. I too wore my hair in plaits (. what we call "braids"in the UK) until I was around 12 years old when I graduated to a more grown up ponytail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was about the age when I cut my braids, too. My mother saved them in her "Hope Chest". She recently gave me my braids, wrapped in tissue paper. They were 18 inches long, and I had only cut my hair to my shoulders.

      Delete