Friday, August 25, 2017

Vintage Views of Yosemite National Park

My first cousin discovered a large box of my grandparents' slides and sent them to me.  A second cousin offered to digitize the slides for me.  I've been featuring them on my blog once or twice a month. This week I'm sharing some photos I recognize as Yosemite National Park in the 1960s.  I've been there, so I know the scenery.

My grandparents moved to California around 1970 after many visits to my uncle in Long Beach.  They had quite a few photographs in the slide collection of sights around the state of California. They must have had fun during their retirement years exploring their new state.  The scenery here is nothing like New England at all!

Here is my grandmother posing in front of the giant sequoia tree known as "General Grant".
Today this tree is 270 feet tall and 107 feet around, and it appears just about as big here!
Doesn't everyone have a photo like this in the family album? (Lots of dirt instead of the tree?)

This photo and the one below are of the Bridal Veil Falls.
The photo below is great! The one above isn't focused on anything


My grandfather "Papa" Wilkinson snapped this shot in the Yosemite Valley.
Car trouble? A picnic? Who are these people? The background is spectacular!
--------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Vintage Views of Yosemite National Park", Nutfield Genealogy, posted August 25, 2017, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/08/vintage-views-of-yosemite-national-park.html: accessed [access date]).

1 comment: