Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday ~ Mr. John Patterson, 1793, Londonderry, New Hampshire

This tombstone was photographed at the Valley Cemetery, Londonderry, New Hampshire


Memento Mori
ERECTED
In Memory of
Mr. John Patterson
who departed this life
Augt. the 29th 1793
Aged 42 years 7 months
and 8 days

Affliction sore long time I bore
Physicians were in vain
Till God did please and death did seize
to ease me of my pain.

Death thou hast concor'd [sic] me
I by thy Darts am slane [sic]
Christ hath concor'd  [sic] thee
and I shall live again. 

John Patterson, son of Peter Patterson and Grisey Wilson, was born 21 January 1751 in Londonderry, New Hampshire and died 29 August 1793.   His parents were Scots Irish immigrants from Northern Ireland.  Peter was born in Priestland, Antrim, Ireland and his wife was born in Dufermline, Fife, Scotland.   John served in the American Revolutionary War.  There is no record of his final illness. 

I love that more than 200 years later the scribed lines are still visible on this stone, which aided the stone carver with his careful lettering! 

-------------------------
The URL for this post is
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/05/tombstone-tuesday-mr-john-patterson.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

2 comments:

  1. Every day on my way to school in Bushmills, I went through Priestland; there are still Pattersons therea and thereabouts

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are still Pattersons in and around Priestland

    ReplyDelete