Saturday, October 4, 2014

Surname Saturday ~ HITCHINGS of Lynn, Massachusetts

The Arthur Hitchings family, about 1905, Beverly, Massachusetts

HITCHINS/HITCHINGS/HITCHENS

Daniel Hitchings was born about 1632 according to a deposition he gave in 1722 when he swore his age was 90 years.  He lived to be almost 100 years old and died on 15 April 1731 in Lynn, Massachusetts.  Zaccheus Collins wrote about the death of Daniel Hitchings at nearly 100 years in his diary. 

Daniel came to the New World with his brother Joseph. You can find Joseph’s family listed in the Lynn vital records, too.  The fact that they were brothers was proven by the will of Samuel Hitchings of London, England in 1676 (see the highlighted portion).

SAMUEL HITCHINS, citizen and draper of London, 16th of March, 1676, with a codicil made July 27, 1679; proved December 3, 1679. To my dear and loving wife, SARAH, my two messuages, &c., in the parish of St. Lawrence, Old Jewry, London, which I hold by lease from the Co. of Clothworkers, and if she die before the expiration of the term, &c., then to my son, GILES HITCHINS, or to my grandson, ROBERT HITCHINS, which of them my said wife shall think fit to give or bequeath the same. To wife my freehold messuages in Robin Hood, Ct., St. Mary, Aldermary, London, and the rents, &c., for her life, and then to my grandson, ROBERT HITCHINS, remainder to son, GILES, and next to my two nephews, DANIEL and JOSEPH HITCHINS (sons of my brother, DANIEL HITCHINS), who are now living in New England, near Boston. To my loving brother DANIEL HITCHINS, one annuity of 10  [pounds] for life, payable quarterly. To my nephew, NATHANIEL HITCHINS, one shilling in full discharge for all claims, &c. To my son, GILES HITCHINS, my freehold messuages, &c., in All Hallows Barking--Reference to stock and credits abroad--The said messuages to be chargeable with the œ10 per annum given to my brother, DANIEL, and also with the payment of one and thirty pounds per annum unto my loving cousin, ROBERT HITCHINS, for and during the time of his natural life, according to certain writings between the said ROBERT and me. To my said brother, DANIEL, and my said cousin, ROBERT, to each of them four yards of black cloth to make them mourning. To my said cousin, ROBERT, and to my loving friends, Mr. Daniel Morse and Nicholas Morse, son of the said DANIEL, twenty shillings apiece to buy them rings. The residue to wife, SARAH, with five pounds to buy her mourning. My said cousin, ROBERT, and my friends, Daniel and Nicholas Morse, to be executors.”  [from Genealogical Gleanings in England, by Henry F. Waters, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1969, Volume 2, page 285]

The first record for Daniel Hitchings in Massachusetts is in a deed from 1660, in land that was Lynn but is now Wakefield, Massachusetts.  There are fourteen deeds in the Essex County records with land transactions naming Daniel Hitchings. He also held an Indian deed to land on the Saugus River by the Iron Work’s pond he bought from James Quonopihik and David Kunkshamooshaw, descendants of Nanpahemet [Essex Deeds 7:88]. 

Daniel also served in King Phillip’s War in 1675, and can also be found in Essex County records on juries, as a fence viewer, and on the committee “to prosecute any who breach preservation of wood timber in 1706.  In 1707 “the chimney of Daniel Huchins” was the boundary between Lynn and Boston. He died intestate, but his son, Daniel, Jr., settled his estate with this probate record:

Daniel Hitchings Sr. yeoman, in consideration that my sisters: viz Elizabeth Haven, widow and Mary Hitchings, singlewoman, both of Lynn, and my sister Hannah How, wife of John How of Hopkinstown in Middlesex County, and my sister Sarah Giddings, wife of William Giddings of Ipswich;  all of them have acquitted unto me all their rights and interest unto that...real estate...in Lynn which our father, Mr. Daniel Hitchings, Sr., late of Lynn, deceased, which had been settled on me by my father in his lifetime...consisting of a dwelling house, orchard, pasture, tillage, meadow, marsh and woodlands...that my father died seized of...such Real Estate as my father had settled on me in his life time.  I also discharge them of any debts my father may have had... and I hereby convey to my said sisters Elizabeth Haven, Mary Hitchings, Hannah How and William Giddings and Sarah his wife, my rights in aforementioned premises, except that before mentioned.  Signed by Daniel and Susannah Hitchings.  Witnesses, Thomas and Jonathan Hawkes.  Recorded 26 December 1732”  [Essex Deeds 58:236]

Two of my ancestors are named in this deed, Daniel junior and Sarah (Hitchings) Giddings.  I descend from both brother and sister (see below).  Daniel junior lived in the land in Lynn which is now Saugus.  He was a selectman and served on juries in the Lynn town records.  He left this will in 1735:

“The Last Will and Testament of Daniel Hitchens of Lynn... yeoman, being somewhat sick and infirm in Body but of sound mind and memory, in consideration of the uncertainty of life and the circumstance of my family and being desirous that peace and unity may be continued among them when it sall please God to remove me from hence have therefore thought it to make and publish this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking, making null and void any...other will...  In the first place I resign my immortal soul to God that gave it and my body to the Earth to be decently interred at the diescretion of my Executor hereafter named and for the temporaral estate wherewith God hath blessed me with I will and bestow the same as followeth:  I will that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid and discharged by my Executor out of that part of my Estate which I shall bequeath unto my son Daniel Hichens...  I will and bequeath unto Susannah, my well beloved wife, in room of her Dower or thirds of my estate, she to have the improvement of my Westerly lower room and privilege in the Westerly chamber and the cellar, with six bushels of Indian corn, two bushels of ??, two bushels of malt, two barrels of cider, four cord of wood, one hundred weight of pork, one hundred weight of beef, one cow to be kept summer and winter, one quarter part of my indoor moveables and 40 shillings yearly; all the above mentioned articles to be brought to the house by my three sons... Daniel Hitchins on half of the above mentioned articles, Elkanah Hitchins, one quarter part... and Timothy Hitchens one quarter part...which my three sons are to pay unto her annually.

I give and bequeath unto my son Elkanah Hitchins, one half of a tract of land containing about sixty acres, bounded southerly upon the Town Road, westerly upon the land of Joseph Haven, northerly upon the land of Jacob Burrill, and two acres of salt marsh, which is one half of a lot of mine near Birch Island in Rumney marsh... and one feather bed and furniture.

I give... unto my son Timothy Hitchins, the other half of that tract of land containing about sixty acres, bounded southerly on the Town Road, westerly upon the land of Joseph Haven, northerly upon the Six Hundred acres so called, easterly upon the land of Jacob Burill; two acres of Salt Marsh, which is one half of a lot of mine near Birch island in Rumney marsh...one feather bed and furniture; one pair of steers, one iron crow.

I give... unto my daughter Susanna Hawkes, the wife of Moses Hawkes, one hundred pounds currant payable money of New England to be paid by my son Daniel Hitchins within five years after my decease with what I have already given her is her full part of my estate.

I give... to my son Daniel Hitchins, my eldest son all the remaining part of my estate, both real and personal, he paying all my funeral charges and just debts.

I do nominate and appoint my son Daniel Hitchins to be my Executor of this my Last Will and Testament.  Lastly, I revoke and make null and void any other will by me heretofore made.

In Witness and for confirmation that the foregoing will, consisting of two pages, is my last Will and Testament,  I the said Daniel Hitchins have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this first day of March 1734/5 in the eighth year of the reign of our sovereign Lord King George the second.  Signed, sealed, published and declared by the within daniel Hitchins to be his last Will and Testament in presence of us who subscribe as a witness in the said testators presence.  Signed Daniel Hitchins.  Witnesses: Joseph Haven, William Taylor, Thomas Hawkes.  Recorded: 7 April 1735”

My HITCHINGS genealogy:

Generation 1: Gyles Hitchings, born about 1562; married on 12 May 1592 in Cam, Gloucestershire, England to Alice Trotman.

Generation 2: Daniel Hitchins, born about 1597 in England.  Two children, the brothers Joseph and Daniel who came to the New World and settled in Lynn, Massachusetts.

Generation 3:  Daniel Hitchins, born about 1632 in England, died 15 April 1731 in Lynn; married about 1654 to Eleanor Unknown.  She died 10 September 1694 in Lynn. Five children and I descend from two of them. He married second to Sarah Cushman on 7 November 1695 in Lynn.  She was the daughter of Thomas Cushman and Mary Allerton (Mayflower Passenger).  I descend from Mary’s sister, Remember (Allerton) Maverick (abt 1614 – 1656), also a Mayflower Passenger).

Lineage A:

Generation 4: Daniel Hitchings, born about 1660 in Lynn and died 15 January 1735 in Lynn; married first on 16 February 1697 in Lynn to Sarah Boardman (no children); married second on 19 October 1708 in Lynn to Susannah Townsend, daughter of Thomas Townsend and Mary Davis.  She was born on 5 November 1672 in Boston and died 12 May 1737 in Lynn. Five children.

Generation 5: Daniel Hitchings, born 19 October 1709 in Lynn and died 25 April 1760 in Lynn; married in June 1735 in Lynn to Hannah Ingalls, daughter of Nathaniel Ingalls and Anne Collins. She was born about 1713 and died before 15 April 1798. Twelve children

Generation 6: Abijah Hitchings, born 18 January 1753 in Lynn, and died 27 March 1826 in Salem, Massachusetts; married first on 24 June 1775 in Lynn to Mary Gardner, daughter of Benjamin Gardner and Sarah Randall.  She was born in Boston and died before 1792 and had four children with Benjamin. He married second to Sarah Gardner (possibly the sister of Mary Gardner?) about 1792.  She died 23 May 1807 in Lynn. Two children.

Generation 7: Abijah Hitchings, son of Abijah Hitchings and Mary Gardner, born about 1775 in Lynn and died 26 July 1868 in Salem; married on 21 December 1795 in Salem to Mary Cloutman, daughter of Joseph Cloutman and Hannah Becket.  She was born about 1775 in Salem and died 28 November 1853 in Salem.  Eleven children.

Generation 8: Abijah Hitchings, born 8 January 1809 in Salem, died 18 January 1864 in Salem; married on 4 December 1836 in Salem to Eliza Ann Treadwell, daughter of Jabez Treadwell and Betsey Jillings Homan.  She was born 27 August 1812 in Salem and died 31 January 1896 in Salem.  Four children.

Generation 9: Abijah Franklin Hitchings, born 28 October 1841 in Salem, died 19 May 1910 in Salem; married on 22 September 1864 in Salem to Hannah Eliza Lewis, daughter of Thomas Russell Lewis and Hannah Phillips.  She was born about 1844 and died on 15 February 1921 in the Danvers State Hospital, Danvers, Massachusetts. Two children.

Generation 10: Arthur Treadwell Hitchings, born 10 May 1868 in Salem, died 7 March 1937 in Hamilton, Massachusetts; married on 25 December 1890 in Beverly, Massachusetts to Florence Etta Hoogerzeil, daughter of Peter Hoogerzeil and Mary Etta Healey.  She was born 20 August 1871 in Beverly, and died 10 February 1941 in Hamilton.  Eight children.

Generation 11: Gertrude Matilda Hitchings, born 1 August 1905 in Beverly, died 3 November 2001 in Peabody, Massachusetts; married on 14 February 1925 in Hamilton to Stanley Elmer Allen, son of Joseph Elmer Allen and Carrie Maude Batchelder.  He was born 14 January 1904 in Cambridge, Massachusetts and died 6 March 1982 in Beverly. Seven children.  (my maternal grandparents)

Lineage B:

Generation 4: Sarah Hitchings, born 11 July 1664 in Lynn, died 21 January 1766 in Ipswich; married on 19 September 1698 to William Giddings, son of Thomas Giddings and Mary Goodhue.  Three children.

Generation 5: Thomas Giddings m. Martha Smith
Generation 6: Sarah Giddings m. Amos Burnham
Generation 7: Judith Burnham m. Joseph Allen
Generation 8: Joseph Allen m. Orpha Andrews
Generation 9: Joseph Gilman Allen m. Sarah Burnham Mears
Generation 10:  Joseph Elmer Allen m. Carrie Maude Batchelder
Generation 11: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents, see above)

----------------------------------
The URL for this post is
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2014/10/surname-saturday-hitchings-of-lynn.html

Copyright © 2014, Heather Wilkinson Rojo


No comments:

Post a Comment